Thread: Why is it so hard to get IT jobs in Australia even after you have degrees?

Why is it so hard to get IT jobs in Australia even after you have degrees?

Why is it so hard to get IT jobs in Australia even after you have degrees?

Whilst it is true that Australia only has a small population, it is equally true that Australia is an immigrant nation. Apart from the highly trained home grown IT university graduates, we have highly skilled graduates from India, the Philippines, NZ, Europe, China, South America and even the USA plus elsewhere.

People with IT degrees are like fleas on dogs. Common and easy to find. People with experience and IT intelligence are scarce. Catch 22, you can’t get experience or prove your capabilities until you score a position in IT. That is why you need to suck it up, and apply for positions you think are beneath you.

I once interviewed an Irish guy for an entry level IT job, he had multiple degrees, but no experience. In fact he was over qualified for the vacancy. For entry levels jobs I’d hire a kid straight out of high school that showed aptitude and train him/her than take some know it all shit with a Uni degree.

All team leaders & management have had to put up with the know it all shits with a Uni degree that know nothing, and frankly with budgets and time constraints we haven’t got the time to waste with such types.

In one of my employments, my employer would annually have a graduate in-take for paid work experience. Usually about six guys & gals each year. These guys would be allocated to teams across IT, but I was lumbered with being their nanny (mentor), few survived a year in the real world, and fewer were offered permanent positions.

In the real world, businesses don’t want gamers, hackers or people who know how to use a particular tool. We seek people that can think on their feet and rapidly adapt to change, the rest can be learnt on the job.

There are several reasons . Firstly recruiters look for people who have some experience. Secondly it might be something to do with the degrees themselves. Thirdly it might be to do with the positions applied for. With no practical experience it is a waste of time applying for something that requires experience. Your application must align to the requirements outlined in the position description. Fourthly it might have something to do with your application. The English must be good and the layout needs to be up to a standard. You can check vacancies on https://au.jobsora.com/ for example, good, proven job board.