Thread: Dropdown Items Get Cut Off on Laptops Only :(

Dropdown Items Get Cut Off on Laptops Only :(

I'm using the latest version of bootstrap along with asp.net 4.5 and html5. I'm having an issue where items in my drop down menus are getting cut off when viewing my website on a laptop. Everything works perfectly on a desktop or mobile device...it's just an issue with laptops. Full disclosure, I'm also using a plugin, http://davidstutz.github.io/bootstrap-multiselect/, so I don't know if that could be where the issue is coming from. Does anybody have any suggestions? Also, I've been researching the issue and the most popular answer is to change one of the overrun styles from hidden to visible or auto. I'm cool with doing this, but I'm kind of new to internet development and wondering what, if anything, keeps the css file from getting overwritten when an update comes out? I use Nuget management via asp.net, so I'm assuming it would just overwrite my change with the original default? Do I need to create a new CSS file that contains the overrides or something? Again, thanks for any help!!

laptop cutoff.jpg

UPDATE: Just discovered that this is actually a problem specific to Internet Explorer and happens whether it's a laptop, desktop, etc.
    Last edited by puffster; 08-07-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Want to provide an update on problem

No one ever uses IE now a days it's either chrome or firefox xD

If only that were true....I just demo'd this last week and got my ass absolutely handed to me because people were using IE and it was cutting off their choices.

You can use a script to detect what browser they are using and than redirect them to a page like 'uhoh.php' saying "[sitename] is incompatible with your current version of IE, please take a look at google chrome or mozilla firefox" or something like that and link them to the downloads for each of them, it's really surprising to hear of alot of people using IE especially when googles browser is so well known and they dont even own an OS (on pc)