Thread: collapse column when on mobile phone (xs)

collapse column when on mobile phone (xs)

I have a 3 column layout, when the site is viewed on a phone, xs, the left column is hidden:

<div class="col-md-2 column hidden-xs">

how can I have this column collapse down instead of being totally hidden, so that only the header is viewable with a small icon to allow the users to toggle to view the associated content?

thanks!

Smile Hiding the 1st column (left column) on viewports for mobile

Quote Originally Posted by FikseGTS View Post
    I have a 3 column layout, when the site is viewed on a phone, xs, the left column is hidden:

<div class="col-md-2 column hidden-xs">

how can I have this column collapse down instead of being totally hidden, so that only the header is viewable with a small icon to allow the users to toggle to view the associated content?

thanks!
    Hello there, I'm fairly new to Bootstrap myself - and what I've found is that its tricky if you're trying to do things really quickly at a pace thats ahead of your learning pace. What I suggest is to just keep experimenting and executing the code and observing whats happening on the screen. Even the most smart mathematician/programmer will be reliant on this to fine tune what it is they are looking to achieve.

With your case, I would need a link to your website first and if you could show me the code so I can take a look at it then I could get back to you on this one.

What you really need to do my friend, is write a media query at that snapping point (when we enter the viewport ranges approching 480px and lower).

You will need to use column-xs and column-sm too - depending what degree you're looking to tweak the ordering and layout of the columns as you hit a viewport.

Heres an example of 4 individual blocks of items contained in a footer, for ease of understanding ive given them all the same backgroudn color so you can see what happens.

What I want you to understand here is that bootstrap defines 4 types of columns which work for 4 main viewports:

1) col-lg-x is for large devices screen-sizes/viewports 1200px,
    2) col-md-x is for medium devices screen-sizes/viewports 992px,
    3) col-sm-x is for small devices screen-sizes/viewports 768px, and
    4) col-xs-x is for extra small devices with screen-sizes/viewports 480px.

Take a look at this example i've put together for you, where I've shown 4 columns of equal size inside a row (a footer) for viewports higher than or equal to 1200px (large device).

Then I want hit the snapping-point that corresponds to viewports for medium devices, which are most desktop screen sizes and any absurdly large tablet screen .... I want to change how i show these columns to people. All I want to do here is keep things more or less same as before, but this time I want to make the first two columns occupy 30% of space each, and then the other two columns 20% space each. So basicaly still one row, 4 columns (for boxes).

Now when viewers begin to view this layout on small devices such as tablets and mini tablets, I dont want them to see '4 columns' - i want to achieve a layout where I want to show 2 columns with 50% width, and then beneath those I want to show two columns that span the whole width of that viewport - so two big bars if you like one over the other.

Finally, using the xs-hidden rule, I want to show the same layout on extra small devices such as mini-tablets and phones but hiding the last column.

This is how its done.

<footer class="row">

<nav class="col-xs-6 col-sm-6 col-md-4 col-lg-3">
    <ul id="footer-content" class="list-unstyled">
    <li>Info A</li>
    <li>Info B</li>
    <li>Info C</li>
    </ul>
    </nav>
    <nav class="col-xs-6 col-sm-6 col-md-4 col-lg-3">
    <li>Info D</li>
    <li>Info E</li>
    <li>Info F</li>
    </ul>
    </nav>
    <nav class="col-xs-12 col-sm-12 col-md-2 col-lg-3">
    <li>Info G</li>
    <li>Info H</li>
    <li>Info I</li>
    </ul>
    </nav>
    <nav class="hidden-xs col-sm-12 col-md-2 col-lg-3">
    <li>Info J</li>
    <li>Info K</li>
    <li>Info L</li>
    </ul>
    </nav>

</footer>

and the css for styling:

#footer-content { background-color:#6F1322;
    margin-top:1em;
    padding:1em; height:8em;
    background-color:#D0D0D0;
    color:#6F1322;
    text-align:center;}

JS FIDDLE EXAMPLE BELOW:

http://jsfiddle.net/rxp10kLs/10/ (with full working code)

https://jsfiddle.net/rxp10kLs/10/embedded/result/ ( FULL SCREEN TEST, make sure to resize your brwoser screen to see whats happening - or use firefox ,tools->web developer>responsive design view )

incase the link(s) above dont work then try http://jsfiddle.net/MrKumar44/yjnqkzub/

I hope this allows you to come closer in solving your own problem - and I hope you can figure out how to achieve your own goal. If not, get back to me.

Kind Regards,

Tony
    Last edited by Tony1978; 04-05-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: just created a jsfiddle account and saved this code as i wrote it lol