Thread: CSS Newbie Help!

CSS Newbie Help!

Hi

I am using a separate CCS stylesheet to try and customize a standard bootstrap template. Each time I try altering something e.g. text size,everything moves on the template.

e.g. <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/custom.css">

Please advise.

Thanks
    Shona

Do you have links to both the bootstrap css and your custom css. And if so did you delete or comment out the bootstrap css element?

Hi Rick,

Yes I have links to both CSS. I did open the Bootstrap CSS file, but because of the way it displays I can't find anything. I also thought if my CSS file comes first, I would overwrite the Bootstrap element? Thanks for replying.
    Shona

Bootstrap is used as global file and most likely so is your custom css, thus the conflict. You either have to comment out the statement in one or the other, unless you use a different naming convention.
    Something like this:
    p {font-size: 1.5em; color: black;}
    myp {font-size: 1.25em; color: black;}

<p class="myp">This is the content using the myp class</p>

If you place a css statement directly in the web page it will be the primary css statement overriding all other link css files.

Hi Rick

Thanks for replying. I went through some Bootstrap tutorials yesterday on YouTube. Each one suggests a custom.css file as the actual Bootstrap one should not be edited up any changes that are made to it will be overwritten when updating Bootstrap and also it's in breach (apparently) of the use of Bootstrap. Adding classes in to each webpage is something that some of the tutorials advise against, i.e,. for paragraphs. Help! I am now totally confused. Many thanks for your time.
    Shona

Customising CSS help

Hi Rick

Thanks for replying. I went through some Bootstrap tutorials yesterday on YouTube. Each one suggests a custom.css file as the actual Bootstrap one should not be edited up any changes that are made to it will be overwritten when updating Bootstrap and also it's in breach (apparently) of the use of Bootstrap. Adding classes in to each webpage is something that some of the tutorials advise against, i.e,. for paragraphs. Help! I am now totally confused. Many thanks for your time.
    Shona

It is a given that if you update Bootstrap you are going to overwrite any changes you made to that file.
    Let's get back to your original question about making changes to your css and the effect it has on your template.
    Can you provide a code sample of what you are changing in the css file and what happens?