Thread: Building my first website - feedback needed

Building my first website - feedback needed

Hi all,

So I've been working on my first portfolio website on and off for about 3 months and it's been really challenging, I feel like I'm making progress and what I've created so far is 'looking' ok - but what I haven't had yet is any feedback from more experienced coders about the quality or functionality of what I've created. I would really appreciate some honest feedback about my site as it stands now, what it's missing, what needs improving etc. and what I should be doing in future to further develop and progress. So far I feel I have a reasonably good understanding of Bootstrap, HTML5 and CSS3, and I have a developing knowledge of JavaScript / Jquery, and PHP., but I feel like I'm venturing forward fairly blind - so a little guidance, no matter how small would be much appreciated!

http://www.jonhowlett.uk

I'm building a site because I ultimately am seeking a career in web development so have been teaching myself in my spare time.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum btw.

Thanks
    Jon

Hi John,

The colors of the pictures is way too dark anybody looking at it for long time their eyes will hurt. On your contact form you are only checking the email address and you should check all your fields.
    Also You did not say that the email field was required. The name field I could enter numbers and other things . I do not like the shaking of the form when I enter in something wrong. It feels like their is something wrong with my screen. I am tell this from a User Experience perspective Also I do not know if you are clearing out all input fields before let somebody enter information in or not. If not this is a good way a hacker can inject sql code to your server and mess up your server.
    I know it happen to me.

All in all a good start

I know that building a website is a hard task. I know that web designers are extremely busy people and sometimes they are using ready templates. I just used http://www.templatemonster.com/moto-cms-3-templates.php to make mine website. Hope it will be useful for you.